Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Tale of the Keys

I should be at Dr. Lehmann's class right now, but i'm too lazy to come in. I will tell you the reason why.

To make the story longer, let me start from the past. Once upon a time, there was a young man who was studying at a well recognized university in Sydney. He lives in a very old two-story building close to his kindergarten school though, but still it's not too far from his uni. In fact it's not too far at all, it will only take 15 minutes of walk from his house to the front gate of the uni.

In late 2005, it was the last weeks of the academic session. So many assignments were nearly due, and the final exams were all seeming so near. Our young guy went to the library a lot, to do some assignments with his friends. All was fine.. except that one day, he suddenly couldn't find his keys he use to keep in his pocket or hanged on his chest by the blue UNSW lanyard the keys were attached to. He got panicked. He thinked hard of the last moment he remembered holding the keys. Ah yes, it could be on the desk of one of the library computers he used earlier, he thought. But no, it wasn't there. He walked back and forth from the place where he realised his keys were gone and the library. Finally, he asked the librarian if they knew anything about his lost keys. Alhamdulillah, they did keep the keys.

Early 2006, our clumsy man here was on his way to his friend's house in Kingsford. They were planning to go to Central Station that night, taking a train heading for Melbourne for a holiday. He took a bus to Kingsford, and then stopped at a famous grilled chicken chain restaurant. When he stepped out from that restaurant, he remembered that he need to give his bicycle keys to his room mate, who happened to be waiting in his friend's house in Kingsford. "Oh no, where are my keys?", said him after he realized that he's no longer carrying his keys anymore. He remembered grabbing them on his hands when he left home. But because he was carrying such a heavy weight --two full backpack bags, one carry bag, and one plastic bag of grilled chicken-- he ran to the his friends house anyway, instead of searching the keys first. Having dropped off his luggage, he quickly ran back to Oporto, the chicken restaurant, trying to find it there. But no it wasn't there. He quickly took a bus back to Kensington where he lives, wishing that the keys didn't fall on the first bus he took before. "It probably dropped near the park", thought the guy. Unlucky for him, the keys weren't anywhere in sight on the sidewalk near the park. So he continued his walk to his house, hoping the keys were still sticking on the doors of his house. But no, it wasn't. So where could it be? Desperately, he walked back to the bus stop heading for Kingsford, again. He reached the bus stop when he thought for himself, "hmm.. moso si ga ada di deket taman? aku tadi kan njatuhin kamera di situ". He was thinking in bahasa indonesia at that time, and it roughly means "how could the keys not be near the park? i thought it should be there somewhere when i dropped my camera there earlier...". Feeling curious, he went back to the spot he think the keys might have been dropped. It was a bit dark already that time, it was quite hard to look for anything small. Somehow, he raised his heads and sight a bit upwards -- he kept looking downwards before--and looked around, where there was a tree and a fence. There's the keys! Somebody hanged them on the fence!

One chilly day, the sun was about to set. Probably it had. And our careless bloke of the story here took his ashar prayer on a small alley close to the post office inside the University. He had to do so because somehow he had no time to go down to the mushalla to pray. As soon as he arrived at the quiet spot, he put his bag and, yes you're right, his lanyard with keys on it to the ground and soon pray. He prayed quickly, still a bit worried that somebody may see him doing sholat on the alley. So right after he did salam --salam is the last part of sholat--, he quickly grabbed his bag and left, forgetting that his keys should be on top of his bag. About 5 minutes later, when he was heading towards his bike soon he realised that he left his keys back in the alley. So he walked back to the place with some confidence. He was pretty sure the keys was going to be there. But no. It wasn't there when he arrived back. It started to shower that evening. The day became colder. And so as this man's motivation to do anything. He became quite sick of himself as he had lost his keys over and over again. He asked a man who was walking out from a door nearby whether he knew or saw any dropped keys there before. No, he didn't. He gave a good suggestion though, he told him that the security might have found them. "Hmm that seem's like a good idea", thought the guy. So he walked to e-Spot, which is the security office of the university. The person in charge there was so helpful. He wrote down the guy's details: name, mobile number, and lost property. The keys weren't found yet though. Feeling just a bit better, our young helpless man walked back to the place he left his keys. Then he saw an office door slightly opened near the place where he sholat. He knocked the door, a person opened it, then he asked "did you see any dropped keys nearby?". Yes, the person got the keys on his desk.

I told you that i am supposed to be attending a lecture right now. The reason i'm not coming is, how can you concentrate on the lecture when all the thing that's in your head is questions like "how will i go home tonight, my room mate will be home very very late. he has a night shift tonight", or "why am i so stupid", and "why does this keep happening to me??", or "oh no, now what..."

And i'm already way too late anyway...

You think that the person i'm talking about was myself? You are absolutely right. The last event happened just an hour ago :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Endah Retnowati said...

yesterday, I diden come in the class as well. the reason isen resaonable enough actually. I am nerveos and getting stuck in writing my 8000-word essay, that has been written since 2,5months ago although it's due in the end of the session, I mean in 3weeks, still enough time, isen'it. I said to the lecturer an hour before the class tough. I said, I just wanted to sit and study alone by myself. By attending the class, I think it'll deteriorate my confidence, to present my work next week. I wish my lecturer say something to motivate me but he just saw me deeply. honestly, I feel guilty. I feel I am the stupidest person in the world. I spent my time reading and writing nearly everyday and everynight. and yesterday, I almost missed the last shuttle bus, alhamdulillah... so I am safe till home. but then, I woke up late and this morning I wasen looking after my husband as I used to. now, my eyes are getting wet because it is not finished yet and I miss my husband. (*kok jadi curhat ya...*)

9:43 am  
Blogger isna "poetra" said...

fan fan, how bout the idea of make duplicat for your keys n also maybe chained it to your jeans? :) anyway, funny story n make some laughs to me... :D :D

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home