Friday, November 14, 2008

Stupid Ants

Researchers say that ants have some sort of intelligence, particularly as a group (ant colony intelligence, as they call it). But I find that this 'colony intelligence' can lead to a mass suicidical behaviour, as shown from numerous casual observations that i've made.

In other words, i think they're still stupid even in a group.

I drink coffee almost everyday, with at least 3 teaspoons of sugar in it (i know... i'm sick). Like most of us, I drink coffee rather slowly. Which means, my coffee cup spends most of its time on my table, or desk, or any flat and hard surface that I feel suitable. (my hard springbed is one of them)

Now.

In almost every occasion, whenever I leave the cup of coffee too long on the table, i'll normally find around 2 or 3 dead ants floating on my sweet coffee with non-fat cream. Which is still okay. This is still reasonable.

But when I leave the cup of coffee more than a day, the number of ant casualties will usually be enormous... By enormous i mean like the whole surface of the cup of coffee cream will be covered with freaking dead ANTS! :-(
(i know... yuck!)

What were they thinking of???

Or could it be that once an ant drowned on the 'sweet creamy pool', then the next ant tries to save her? But of course, ants can't swim, so this 'rescuer' will also be destined to meet her fate in that already cold coffee... And then it goes on and on and on again.. Poor thing :-(

If so, they may not be stupid after all. Perhaps they simply care too much for each other...

ps: the ants i'm talking about are the very tiny ones (and cometimes smelly too)

2 Comments:

Blogger nina said...

Wew, masih mending semut, Fan...daripada cicak! >,<
Arghhh...(masih bergidik kalo inget)

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These ants behavior's remind me of Reverend Jim Jones.

What an excellent example of Blind Faith!

1:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home