Sunday, February 26, 2006

My family

Perhaps this posting would be of no importance to you, but i really want to write about my family in this blog. I am a bit homesick i think.

First, about my mother. I call her "IBU", which means "mother". This word "ibu" is known in several languages: malay, indonesian, javanese, and many other local languages i suppose. Among my cousins, most of them also call their mother by this word "ibu". Only a few use "Mama". My mother was born in Surabaya, and then moved to Jogja with my father. In Australia, my mother worked in STC, Standard Telephones and Cables, an electronics company in Alexandria NSW. I wasn't born yet when Ibu first worked there. Before that, Ibu worked in a Pharmacy in Jogja. Now Ibu works in Balai POM Yogyakarta (Food and Drug Agency Yogyakarta Branch).

My father is a lecturer in Pharmacy, specializing in food and drug analysis. Ask him anything about spectroscopy, organic chemistry, whatever, he will be delighted to answer. I call my father "Bapak". Bapak took all of his postgrad studies in UNSW, just like me now :D :D :D

I have a bigger brother, his name is Dhani and i call him by his name, unlike the traditional word "Kak" or "Mas" or "Bang" which means 'brother'. I don't know how i could end up not using an ethical way to call my brother, but huhh.. don't know. He's in Banda Aceh now, working for the Forestry Department. His office is the Kreueng River Conservation Authorities or whatever. He survived the 2004 tsunami. We used to go to Kensington Public School together, close to where i live now. There's too much memories with my brother in this neighbourhood i'm staying now...

My smaller brother had just turned 19 years old last week. He's studying medicine in Gadjah Mada University and he's the only member of our family who can't speak english very well, although he was born in Darlinghurst, Sydney :D He's a bit annoying, but... okay i miss him too. I wonder if he would choose to become an Australian citizen or permanent resident one day, if that is possible....

That's all about my family. Have a good day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anjar Priandoyo said...

(for translation in english please ask irfan :P hehe)
Ok, irfan tuh punya keluarga yang amat sangat hangat, ibunya sangat baek dan ramah, tiap kerumah aku mesti dikasih makan yang enak-enak. Hehehe, standar ya. Iyalah, lha wong aku bukan anaknya. Tapi sama Irfan bener-bener deh, ibunya sayang banget. Dulu pas kita KKN aku sempet beberapa kali ketemu sama ibunya dan hmmm, menurutku menyenangkan punya ibu seperti dia.

Ohya, karena ibunya kerja di POM irfan sering jadi apotek hidup buat kita-kita. Maksudnya kalau ada apa-apa tentang penyakit mesti tanyanya sama Irfan, dari demam, pusing atau typus. Jadi kita ga pusing-pusing nyari dokter lagi. Hehehe, sayang ibunya ga ada di Jakarta :P

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home